National Infrastructure Assessment
The Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (CIQS) provided a response to the federal government’s consultation on Canada’s first-ever National Infrastructure Assessment. In this submission, CIQS responded to the following main areas of consideration to ensure the success of the Assessment, as set out by the federal government:
- Assessing Canada’s infrastructure needs and establishing a long-term vision;
- Improving coordination among infrastructure owners and funders; and
- Determining the appropriate processes to fund and finance infrastructure projects.
In order to provide input in each of these areas, CIQS outlines strategic recommendations in our submission to support the success of the Assessment by considering lessons from the past, the current state of Canadian infrastructure, and where the Assessment needs to take our infrastructure in the future. The recommendations provided throughout the submission focus on leveraging the National Infrastructure Assessment to set out and achieve a long-term vision for Canada’s infrastructure in 2050 and beyond. Our key recommendations include:
- That a National Infrastructure Commission be established as an arms-length body from government to create, monitor and house the National Infrastructure Assessment;
- That the Assessment consider how infrastructure funding and programs can be consistent and reliable over the long-term, delivered rapidly, scalable, and provide project life cycle studies; and
- That the Assessment explore how we can ensure that all infrastructure is built sustainably and contributes to Canada’s long-term goal of achieving net-zero emissions from the beginning of the lifecycle.
While this consultation is the first stage of developing Canada’s National Infrastructure Assessment, CIQS will continue to collaborate closely with the federal government to partner on developing an Assessment that moves Canada’s infrastructure forward for many years to come.
We know that investment in infrastructure is critical in the short-term as we recover from the COVID-19 pandemic and look to build back better. We have shared with the government in this submission that CIQS and all our members have critical industry expertise that will be important to developing a well-governed, evidence-based and thorough National Infrastructure Assessment. The National Infrastructure Assessment poses an important opportunity for CIQS and our sector as a whole and CIQS looks forward to participating in future stages of this process.